Great Topic Ideas for Your Descriptive Essays
If you find yourself struggling to think of good descriptive essay topics for your next assignment, do not worry because you will find a full list of great ideas in this article. From these prompts, you will be able to produce a winning essay that your readers will enjoy. Do not get tricked with cheap essay examples because these will not help you achieve your goals.
What is really needed for a descriptive essay is an interesting idea that will give you the incentive to be original, creative and innovative. This will ensure the praise of your tutor! Take a look at the following ideas and discover how a single great idea can get you the highest possible grade!
Topics About People
Use one of these descriptive essay ideas to tell your readers about:
- Your closest friend.
- The house you live in.
- What you think is the most important aspect of a person’s character.
- Your mother as she seemed to you when you were a child.
- Yourself – as though you were describing yourself to someone you just met online but have never met face-to-face.
- Someone you were once close to but who is no longer in your life.
- Yourself – to someone you have never met before but are about to meet.
- A famous person you want to meet or speak to.
- A relative you are fond of.
- A stranger you recently met in a public place.
Topics About Places
These ideas about places should provide good material for your essay, particularly if you are just learning how to write a descriptive essay. Write a description about:
- The venues and/or landmarks you like in your neighborhood.
- The place where you can think in peace.
- The home of some relative you often visit.
- The country you would love to take a vacation in
- Your childhood bedroom.
- Your vision of the perfect house.
- An imaginary place that exists only in your dreams.
- An unusual nightclub you recently visited.
- A natural landmark or site you love to visit when time permits.
- Your favorite shop or shopping mall.
- What you think the first homes on Mars will be like.
- The place where your pet loves to go for a walk or play.
- What you think the ideal living room would look like.
- A classroom or particular school that stands out in your memory.
- The most disturbing place you have ever been in.
Topics About Things or Objects
Maybe you are still asking, “what is a descriptive essay?” If so, try some of these ideas for practice. Write about:
- Your favorite outfit or item of clothing.
- The most notable features of your bedroom.
- The type of transport you depend on to get to school/college.
- A unique item of furniture that makes your living room special.
- Some item you want to keep and take with you on your journey through life … right to the end.
- The most unusual food you ever tasted.
- What you think the transport of the future will look like.
- The games you enjoyed most as a child.
- Something or someone that makes you feel extra special.
- Some item that has been in your family for many years and is still in use.
Topics About Memories
Here are a few more topics for descriptive essays: Describe the following to your readers:
- What you remember about a concert you went to.
- The time you met a celebrity.
- The best journey you ever went on.
- Your very first recollections of life.
- Someone you recall as having been an integral part of your life.
- A moment of great horror in your life.
- The worst day of your life and why it was so bad.
- Your memories of the first vacation you went on with your parents.
- An embarrassing moment in your life.
- A time of great worry and/or anxiety.
- Some positive experience you once had.
- The best day you ever spent at college … and the worst.
- The moment you and your best friend first met (this is one of those descriptive essay topics that people often write about!)
- A special moment you spent with your friends or relatives.